Monument is a swiftly growing town located at the base of the Rampart Range in El Paso County, Colorado. Monument is bordered by Pike National Forest on the west, Colorado Springs and the United States Air Force Academy on the south, the City of Castle Rock on the north and rolling plains to the east. The town population was 5,742 at the 2012 census. Monument is home to both small business and large chains such as Home Depot and Walmart; and the large manufacturer Synthes.
Monument's first homesteaders arrived in 1865 but settlement increased when Monument became a stop along the Rio Grande Railroad in 1872. The area was incorporated as a town called Henry's Station, after prominent settler Henry Limbach, on June 2, 1879. The first town meeting was held July 3, 1879. Three years later the name was changed from Henry’s Station to Monument after Monument Creek and Monument Rock in the west.