Mr. David McShane is credited with being one of Monument's first homesteaders in 1865. He became the first postmaster in Monument and one of the first commissioners in El Paso County. Henry Limbach and his family were also early arrivals and had much to do with planning and developing of Monument, which prospered as the commercial hub for the area on arrival of the railroad. The Town was originally called Henry's Station, but was changed when the railroad was built in 1871. Monument was named for the rock formation to the west and was incorporated in 1879, with Henry Limbach as the first Mayor.
Historical Walking Tour
Take a self-guided tour of Historic Downtown Monument. Guides are available at the Tri-Lakes Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center
at 166 Second Street and at many of the shops. Virtual tours
and additional historic information is available from the Palmer Lake Historical Society