Home Improvements (Residential)

      (Additional permit types and approvals may be needed based on the individual property and project)

As of January 1, 2019, the Town of Monument requires a digital Excel permit application
No paper or PDFs will be accepted

For more information on Planning and Building Permits, go to "Planning Page"

Permit process flowchart

Important notes:

Home Improvement permits-

Fence-Fence Permit is required for constructing new or repairing fencing in residentially - and commercially-zoned areas.

Landscaping-For any new landscaping, a Landscape Permit with a landscape plan showing all proposed plants (trees and shrubs) and quantities will be required.

Tree removal- Prior to the removal of trees that are not dead, dying or diseased, a Tree Removal Permit  must be submitted and approved. 

Minor PermitsThe Pikes Peak Regional Building Department (PPRBD)  can now process land use permits for the Town of Monument for certain improvements (examples below). Note that PPRBD may require you obtain a permit from the Town prior to submitting to them.

  • Furnace replacement
  • Miscellaneous electrical
  • Miscellaneous plumbing work
  • Roofs
  • Water heater replacement
  • Foundation repair

All other improvements must obtain a land use permit directly from the Town of Monument before proceeding with a building permit through PPRBD.

Land Use

Land Use permit is required for new, or additions to, residential structures such as a deck, garage or basement finish

Also note that all contractors must have a current
Town of Monument business license on file before a Land Use Permit can be issued.

Visit the El Paso County page for County information.


The Town of Monument does require a business license for any work performed within the Town Limits. This can be applied for and paid at the Town offices or on the Town of Monument website.  

You can also verify that your contractor has obtained a business license and a permit by calling the Town at 719.481.2954

Fees &

Please keep in mind that location of the development may require additional fees, such as Triview. Visit the Maps page for the location maps of these districts.
You MUST pick up and pay for your permit only when approved.
You may pay by Cash, Check or Charge for the Town permits. Triview fees must be paid by Cash or Check only. No payment will be due at the time of submitting the permit because use tax (Town of Monument or Triview) will not be calculated until processing.  Payment can be made at the time of permit issuance.

The Town of Monument, Colorado makes every effort to produce and publish the most current and accurate information possible. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for the data herein, its use, or its interpretation. Utilization of this Web site indicates understanding and acceptance of this statement.